Unfortunately we could not rent a car at Molokai so instead of doing the trip around the island and to the lepra park/museum we walked up and down the main street of Kaunakakai a couple of times before we again set the sails and sailed to Lono Harbour. We had a very nice barbeque evening in this very pleasant anchorage.
Next morning the downwind crossing of the Kaiwi Channel was on the plan and with our new standard sail setting – reefed mainsail and heavy weather jib we had a quick crossing without any drama.
Back in Honolulu and the big city we enjoyed a couple of dinners at restaurants together with Karen before she was flying home after 10 days on board. After that we have been busy preparing Cubaneren for the “Trans Back”.
Honolulu by night and Pyewacket prepared for the trip back to the mainland on starboard tack (1 month ago)
Yesterday we were invited to a birthday party which also was a Tahitian traditional party with all included! Music, singing, dancing and food. Maren was once again reminded that it was a bummer that she chose flamenco instead of Hawaiian dance when she was an exchange student in Mexico half a life ago.
Right now we are on our way to the Norwegian Consulate to vote in the election to the parliament. We believe that we are lucky with our politicians and the society in Norway and by giving our vote we hope to contribute to obtain this. Some parts of Hawaii are very green, we have seen some angry red lava on our visit here but the song anyways goes about the blue Hawaii, so maybe that must be what decides what we should vote?
In the afternoon we will set the course more or less straight to the north. We have to get north of the Pacific high before we can point towards San Fransisco which is our destination. We will be on starboard tack for the first at least 5 days before we will have very light winds for a while and then hopefully wind from NW the last half of the trip. By leaving now we will also stay well north of the hurricane “Kenneth” which now is about 1000 miles east of Hawaii, moving N.
If we get everything to work we will switch over to “Ocean Mode” here on the blog and we will try to post a daily report. You can anyway track us most of the time. We are also very happy if you would like to send us a message in a bottle which you can do via the blog, We wan`t get any news in other ways.
See you on the other side!